The Richard J. Scheuer Library Collection
The heart of the Albright Institute, and one of the region’s best Near Eastern collections
The library not only serves the needs of Albright fellows, but also is a primary resource for students and scholars from the other foreign institutes in Jerusalem and from the local Israeli and Palestinian academic communities.
The collection contains more than 35,000 volumes, including 450 journal titles relating to all aspects of ancient Near Eastern studies, with a concentration in Levantine archaeology and Semitic languages and literature. There are also extensive map, microfiche, offprint, and slide collections, as well as a cross-indexed catalog for the 6,720 items in the institute’s artifact collection. The main reading room of the library has sixteen carrels and the lower library, two.
Fellows also benefit from the Albright’s proximity to and relationships with other area institutions with their own relevant collections. Resources available to fellows include:
- Library of the École biblique et archéologique francaise de Jérusalem
- Rockefeller Museum
- Israel Antiquities Authority Library and Archives at the Rockefeller Museum
- Polis: The Jerusalem Institute of Languages and Humanities
- National Library of Israel
- Hebrew University Libraries and Archives
- Al-Aqsa Mosque Library: official site in Arabic and information in English